[MacDV] Re: The Sony Canon debate

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 17:44:56 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 06:58 PM, Granville Kennedy wrote:

> The Canon Optura 200MC is what I finally went for.  What really swayed
> me was the optical image stabilization, which is something no Sony
> camera has, and from what I've read, the worst optical image
> stabilizer will be better than the best digital image stabilization.

Yes - my GL1 has that, and it really rocks. Its is *way* better than
digital image stabilization.

The only weak point I've seen in the GL1 is that its not super in low
light situations, like say shooting at night with available light. I
don't know if that's true of the whole Canon line. On the other hand,
I've never needed to do that, and don't expect to, so its not really a
factor for me. In full daylight, I like the Canon colors a little more
- its a bit warmer than Sony. Sony's "night shot" feature is kind of
cool, but I expect would would be very seldom used for most people.
Another deciding factor could be whether you have a library of old 8mm
tapes that you'd want to play or run out over firewire. If so, Sony is
the only route.

As for me, I decisively chose one of each  ;)

SR