Canon DV vs. Sony DV

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Wed Jan 29 18:28:03 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:19:37 -0500, digitalcinema at shaw.ca wrote:
>I have always wondered which of the two were better Canon DV or Sony DV.
>Someone on this list mentioned they had a  Sony TRV-11 and loved it. I
>am thinking on one side to get a Canon ZR-40 or maybe a Sony TRV-18.
>After I get iLife (iMovie 3 is really what I want out of the package) I
>am going to get one of these DV Cameras.
>
>Chris

I've been using a Canon ZR-40 since last Spring, and haven't had any
problems with it (other than the fact that I can't capture to a
FireWire hard disk -- I have to capture to my internal).

One little design quirk is that  it has no Record button for
recording in VCR mode -- you have to use the remote to do that (or a
command via FireWire, like iMovie sends when it exports to the
camcorder).

I've used its analog-to-digital pass-through mode to capture  old 8mm
video from an old analog camcorder, and I've used its
digital-to-analog ability to simultaneously export to the camcorder
and several daisy-chained VHS decks.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>