Okay I see -- iMovie 3 download

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Thu Jan 30 08:18:07 PST 2003

Kunga--

It wasn't attributable until you you attributed it.  :-)

If your original quote had said something like "ThinkSecret reported
that..." or "A reputable news site reported that...", I probably
wouldn't have responded. When I know something about the source, I
know how much credibility to assign to the information.

The reliability of "unnamed sources" can be kinda spotty. I always
take such information with a grain of salt. As an example, here is
the last paragraph from the ThinkSecret archive for January 3,
reporting about the upcoming expo:
>Laptops and Power Macs will also not get a makeover, sources
>confirm. Most speculation was that iBooks and PowerBooks would not
>see upgrades, as they were just upgraded this past November.
>However, Apple is expected to update the Power Mac line, like the
>iMacs, in late January or early February.
That contains a mix of incorrect and correct information coming from
unnamed sources. I never take that sort of thing as gospel.
<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/mwsf03cpus.html>

Your iLife pricing information may, in fact, be correct. But I
wouldn't state it without some qualification.

But thanks for alerting me to the ThinkSecret site. It looks like a
handy source of information and speculation, and I've added it to my
list of Mac news sites to check frequently.

--Gordon

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:21:52 -0800, Thubten Kunga
<Kunga at FutureMedia.org> wrote:
>You think this isn't attributable evidence? Looks solid to me. You want
>Think Secret to reveal their sources? That's like saying the Watergate
>break-in wasn't created at the White House because The Washington Post
>never revealed theirs. I respect news bureaus right not to reveal their
>sources and I still believe them. I think Nick dePlume, the Publisher
>and Editor In Chief of Think Secret, is a stand-up guy. Are you so
>cynical that you have to hear Steve confess before you will believe the
>TS account?
>
>http://www.thinksecret.com/news/freeiapps.html

>On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 10:10  PM, Gordon B. Alley wrote:
>
>>  I've seen plenty of references, in this list and elsewhere, stating
>>  that Apple had planned to charge for all the iLife apps, and then was
>>  forced to back down at the last minute because of the negative
>>  reaction. But I've yet to see any attributable evidence that this was,
>>  in fact, the case.
>>
>>  There were a lot of rumors floating around before the MacWorld Expo,
>>  and most of them turned out to be wrong. A Merrill Lynch analyst even
>>  downgraded his rating for Apple before the expo because Apple
>  > supposedly didn't have any significant new products in its pipeline.
>  >
>  > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:10:41 -0800, Thubten Kunga
>  >>
>  >> Steve made the decision unilaterally just days before the keynote
>  >> because of all the griping and then gave everybody who was in the
>  >> house
>  >> at the keynote a FREE copy of $99 KEYNOTE to insure no booing. ; ^ )

[...]

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>