Kathy's Monitor Order

RRSounds at aol.com RRSounds at aol.com
Thu Jan 30 12:03:37 PST 2003

In a message dated Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:49:16, Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> writes:
<<
Dear Kathy,
Did you switch your old 22" order to the new higher resolution and smaller Pixel Pitch 20" monitor? I was studying the specs last night and the new 20" has superior specifications to the old 22" model including higher resolution and smaller Pixel Pitch.

In the "old days" the Macintosh screen resolution was specified at 72 DPI (one of many application Human Interface specs set by Apple), and every application and printer followed it. When you ran a drawing program such as McDraw, a page layout program like Pagemaker, or even Microsoft Word, an object (or text) that measured an inch on the screen actually was an inch when printed on your (woof!) ImageWriter or LaserWriter. Of course you could barely see a half a letter-size page on a little 9" monitor!

We've come a long way since then, but we have along the way lost the ability to trust onscreen dimensions to relate to printed ones.
I guess most people don't miss it... and a finer dot pitch does mean a prettier screen. :-)

David P. Reaves, III