Primer on screenwriting and book resources...

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Thu Jan 30 12:38:17 PST 2003

A script is pretty much a script, whether it be for DV or for Warner
Brothers...

except....

What is the nature of the production?  Feature Film, Industrial Video,
Documentary, etc. not quite ad infinitum. The nature of a production
can determine what you really need in terms of a script. When you are
producing an entertainment program (feature film, TV show, etc.) there
is a reason for a script to be written in a specific way. Final Draft,
Screenwriter 2000, Script Thing (which is what Screenwriter 2000 pretty
much is) are programs which will relatively and automatically put your
script into proper screenplay or teleplay form.

A Feature Film is written the way it is written to accomplish a few
important things... First, it works out to be about a page a minute -
one page of script equals a minute on screen.

A screenplay is a very simple thing... here is a simple overview:

First of all, get a screenwriting program: Screenwriter 2000 or Final
Draft are fine. Otherwise, if you are going to use Word (ugh!), know
that you are going to use 12 point Courier font. Screenplays are NOT
desktop publishing jobs. You MUST use Courier at 12 points, and
MONOSPACED, for that matter, to make things work.

Then, you have just a few primary elements to know:  The (1) SLUGLINE,
(2) ACTION DESCRIPTION, (3) CHARACTER, (4) PARENTHETICAL, (5) DIALOG

(1) THE SLUGLINE sometimes called the SCENE HEADING,  which is the
WHERE, the LOCATION,  and the TIME of the scene, which looks like this:

INT. LIBRARY - DAY

INT/EXT CONVENIENCE STORE - NIGHT

EXT. BEACH - DAY

**The standard abbreviations (INT., EXT., INT/EXT) are short for
INTerior (you are shooting inside a building or structure), EXTerior
(you are shooting outside a building or structure) , and the rarely
used INTerior/EXTerior (you are shooting perhaps at and/or through a
doorway). The Slugline/Scene Heading (I like slugline, but software
designers have odd ideas) serves to allow a shooting schedule to be
organized by location and time. This means when you get permission to
shoot, say, in a restaurant, you go there ONCE, which could be for
days, but you shoot ALL the scenes involving the restaurant during the
day or night, which could be at the beginning, middle, and end of the
show. This brings up a production point. Movies are shot OUT OF
SEQUENCE. Some productions BEGIN by shooting the ENDING. The point is,
proper slugline structure makes it EASY to break down the production in
terms of its location needs. When a script is "locked" for production,
the sluglines are each given a number. Detailed scenes may have alpha
characters added to break up its individual sub-elements to create
sanity in editing, but this is usually done on set. Sluglines generally
have a double space preceding them, and a single space after them
before the next element (usually action description.)

(2) ACTION DESCRIPTION, which is the who, what, and what happens in the
scene, shown here after the slugline...

EXT. BEACH - DAY

In her neon bikini, under a huge straw hat and sunglasses, VICKI smiles
as she strolls
past a YOUNG MOTHER and DAUGHTER building a sandcastle. Vicki looks
around,
then checks her Swatch.

**Once again, the action description serves a purpose. The names in ALL
CAPS are only used when introducing a character, so that when breaking
down a script, you can quickly assemble a character list. Programs like
Final Draft and Screenwriter 2000 have breakdown features which
eliminate the need to do this, but, if you are using a word processor,
and need to do it the good ol' way, it's a good idea to save time
later. The action description also triggers the other departments in a
production: camera, wardrobe, props, and so forth. In the simple
example given, we see the potential need for a dolly or Steadicam (TM),
reflectors, HMI, or arc lighting, and the potential need for more than
one setup. This brings up a point: don't DIRECT on paper. By
specifically describing the action to the Nth degree and worse, with
camera angles, you will annoy your director no end, especially on low
budget independent shows. The script is like a score, to be performed
and interpreted on-set by the cast and crew. Back to the sample action
description, we see, wardrobe wise, we need the bikini, the hat, the
sunglasses, the watch (all for Vicki) and beach wardrobes on the mother
and daughter (also the need to cast the mother and daughter), the need
to have a sandcastle,  and so on. To sum up and reiterate, the point of
action description is to deliver the action within a scene without
directing (like discussing camera angles) unless such direction is
critical to the story itself.

(3) CHARACTER

The CHARACTER is the person who is about to speak. CHARACTERS are
always in ALL CAPS, and are tab stopped at about the middle of the
page. They are NOT centered. The are "ragged right" and at a tab stop.

(4)  PARENTHETICALS are used rarely. They are short modifying comments
as to the delivery of the line.

(5) DIALOG

Dialog is what the CHARACTER says.

3, 4, and 5, all together, but NOT formatted correctly, as nothing in
email ever is:

                              VICKI
        Why am I always early to these things?
                       (beat)
        Well, at least I'm on time.

** (beat) here implies a comic pause. Sometimes, the parenthetical can
lessen confusion in a scene with lots of characters speaking, as in (to
Vicki) which elegantly indicates eye lines between characters and thus
camera setups

Enough about basic structure... here is a great book on the subject:
"The Complete Guide to Standard Script Formats, Part I:  The
Screenplay" by Hillis Cole & Judith Haag available at

http://www.writersstore.com/product.php?products_id=118&source=scrinfo

This is a great store for all your screenwriting needs.

'nuff said,

Richard Brown