The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 31 05:54:09 PST 2003

Mike jumped in:

>Why all of this condemnation for Apple doing what is in its best
>interests - namely to move its current customer base into the future of
>its product line?
>
>Apple's made it no secret that as far as it is concerned, OS 9 is dead.
>  Yet people keep finding all these "sneaky" things they're doing to
>"trick" poor little OS 9 users to switch to OS X.
>
>Switch or don't switch - Apple probably won't care.  But expecting
>Apple to keep sitting on the fence just because some others do is
>pointless.

IMO, what Apple does best is create alternatives, superior in reliability
and ease of use, to the prevailing platform. It also has shown itself to be
creative in design and form factor, usually to the good, occasionally not.
But most transitions have been voluntary, at least for several years.
Apple's track record on system upgrades has been horrendous, with most
systems since 7.0 being buggy and problematic.

I've gone on record before objecting to Apple's decision to make new
machines unbootable in X, and how it has cost them my future business until
X supports current choices in software and hardware. This is of no concern
to you, if you choose not to "sit on the fence," and many people are just
pleased as punch with X. But to those of us in the audio business, not so.
I run DECK 2.6 for audio, because it does what it does a whole lot more
reliably (if less flamboyantly) than BIAS' version 3.0. I make my living
with it and it is critical for me to be able to boot into 9. X continues to
deliver shabby compatibility, if at all, with such things as Epson drivers
for their newer printers and, while this is the fault of Epson (there are
many), it leaves me with the choice of using the mandated X, or losing
functionality.

Do what you want, Mike, and enjoy X. But don't be so quick to defend
Apple's strongarm insistence that the rest of us march to its drummer. That
sounds more like a M$ tactic to me.

Artwork and Nature Photopaintings -- http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over demos and services -- http://www.bob-vo.com