The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Fri Jan 31 08:16:53 PST 2003

Macintosh Digital Video List1/31/03 6:54 AMMacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com

> Really? You are sure of that? You have one to test? On every machine
> that boots OS 9? (see the comments from Macintouch below)

No. I'm not sure at all. That's why I did not buy one. If I thought it ran
fine I would've cancelled my 22" order and get the 20" but I didn't. Why?
Because even though the reports were all saying "the coast is clear", I
suspected otherwise down the road and didn't want to jump the gun.

> So, if by "runs fine" you mean at a resolution that is less than 45%
> of the native resolution then you can have you tirade.

Well, I don't know....the reports are still so new and conflicting.

>However, if
> you happen to want to use your monitor at the highest resolution
> (which is why you buy one of these right?) then maybe Apple was right
> (even had an obligation?) to tell you it requires OS X 10.2?

I'm not arguing that they should state that it is optimal for OSX. What I
was saying is that I don't think it is honest marketing to make the masses
believe something not completely true. So, it's not a lie. Ok. But it's a
half truth, right? We both know they could be more specific in their tech
specs and descriptions so we are better armed with the knowledge we need as
a consumer to make a purchase best suited for us. Any time there is valuable
information omitted we are all at risk of making a less educated decision.

All I wanted was a little more truth in advertising. Apple's not the only
culprit, I'm sure.

> Of course, since I am in the same boat of not having used one or
> tested one on the all the possible array of machines that can run OS
> 9 I can't vouch for the accuracy of the above comments - they might
> be wrong and there may indeed be a way to get it to run at its native
> resolution in OS 9 :)

Yes,  and I'm sure we'll find out there's tons of conflicting reports...
I'm curious to know if it is indeed one certain graphics card or perhaps a
couple of them - why that couldn't just be listed in the tech specs for us.
If certain G4 graphics cards work and a few don't, stuff like that is
usually good to make known!

> The point is that none of really know just yet, so before you go off
> half-baked and start calling things a "conspiracy" maybe we should
> all just calm down a little...

Well, maybe. Again, I just think that Apple should consider that it has an
intelligent enough consumer market in which we can all make our own educated
decisions based on 100% information of a product.

Lastly, please know that I am a HUGE Mac addict. I'm going on 8 years and
numerous systems. I have personally converted most of my friends and family
and have actually sold Macs by sending them down to a retailer to get one!
The décor of my house is Apple based art and collectible posters in EVERY
room. Anyone that knows me has always said I should work for them. So, I'm
not an Apple basher. I just am extremely loyal and therefore disappointed
with so many of these "surprises" they have unleashed on us in a manner in
which I think was less than forthcoming.

Kathy