Two Things

MM michaelm at execpc.com
Fri Jan 31 09:55:51 PST 2003

I've worked in live theatre since I was 6 years old.
First amateur of course, then professional as a playwright, director,
producer and actor since age 19.
Started shooting super-8 film at age 12, then 16mm,
got a hold of the early Sony 1/2" B/W portable video system
in the mid '70s. Betamax when it came out, vhs after that.
Worked for a public access cable center using and teaching
with 3/4" analog video. Now, of course, digital,

My own film/video work has been mostly short
experimental stuff, some narrative, some animation,
and lots of documentation of theatre work.

Now a couple of nonprofit performing arts companies have
have expressed an interest in shooting and editing for them.
It seems very few can afford the services of videographers
available here. (Milwaukee, WI, USA)

Does anyone do this sort of work and if so what are the ballpark
fees for shooting and editing in your area. (If sharing fee info online is verboten
or uncomfortable or a no-no, I understand.
Any advice online or via personal email would be helpful.)

Also

> Re: Glorious Black and White

Has anyone seen IN PRAISE OF LOVE, Godard's latest (2001, I think)?
The first half is in the most beautiful black and white I have ever seen.
Shot on film I imagine. Much of it scenes in Paris.
The second have was shot on DV and is in the most grotesquely
over saturated colors imaginable.
I also found this part strangely beautiful.
In subtitled French of course, and the way Godard uses sound
(multiple voices, some divorced from onscreen characters,
shifts in time, etc.) makes it a bit of a challenge to follow for
non French speakers like me.
He is also quite interestingly on American culture/society,
Hollywood and Speilberg in particular.
Anyone seen it.

Also experimental filmmaker Michael Snow now ventures into DV.
Has anyone seen Corpus Callosum.
Interesting interview at
http://www.tate.org.uk/audiovideo/snow.ram

Thanks