[MacDV] Re: DVD Movie production in Widescreen

markflo at mac.com markflo at mac.com
Fri Jan 31 12:36:16 PST 2003

On 1/31/03 2:17 PM, "Tony Sheppard" <grumbledook at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice ... I have passed it on.

No problem.  Since I posted my first reply, I did a little test exporting an
MPEG-2 file from QuickTime Pro (using the DVDSP MPEG-2 codec), and you can't
go any larger than 720x480, but you can go smaller... so that doesn't help
your situation.  Also, widescreen DVDs don't actually have any more
resolution, they just have a different pixel aspect ratio -- so it's still
720x480, but the pixels are stretched wider to achieve a proportional image
on 16:9 playback.

What I would recommend though, is using a computer for the video playback if
you want full-res on the plasma screen.  If you go with MPEG-2 for the
codec, you can use a PC with a decent MPEG-2 decoder card, which should be
able to handle the hi-res video, but you should shop around for the best
MPEG card for this application.  Maybe the place that sold you the plasma
screen has a solution for this?  If you use a different codec (Sorensen?)
make sure whatever computer you use can process something that huge without
dropping frames on playback.

Hope this helps.

- Mark

> The Panasonic blahblahblah is a widescreen Plasma Screen that we will have
> in reception for the showing of everything from promotional material to
> information to educational channels.
>
> It is purely for DVD playback.
>
> Tony Sheppard

> Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest