[MacDV] Re: The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Fri Jan 31 16:50:42 PST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 03:18 AM, SLarsonIH at aol.com wrote:

> No offense, but either you don't get it, or aren't listening to what a
> lot of
> Mac faithful are saying. I don't expect Apple to sit on the fence. I
> don't
> mind, and actually support them advancing, and moving on to OSX and
> all the
> iApps. This is all good.

I do get it and I do listen.  I may not have been a Mac user long
enough to be one of the Mac "faithful" as I switched just last year and
have no use for OS 9 myself, but I think I have a different, and
frankly, clearer perspective on this whole situation than some of the
"faithful" who want things to stay the way they've always been.

> What I DON"T like are the ways in which they are penalizing those of
> us who
> choose to not move to OSX at this time. I for one, cannot afford to
> buy a
> whole new system, with new peripherals and software. There is no
> reason they
> can't sell a version of iDVD for $100 that will let me burn DVD's on
> my 8600
> in OS9.

They aren't penalizing you - none of you OS 9 users.  They're not
sending out evil rays to disable your perfectly functioning machines.
They're just not expending any further effort (nor should they) to
support you with respect to their current product offerings.

You say "there is no reason they can't..." as if it is a fact.  In
fact, there is a reason - probably alot of them, in fact.

I joined this list almost a year ago and I saw lots of discussion on
this topic and variants of it - basically, "boo-hoo, Apple isn't doing
enough to support us OS 9 users - they're trying to make us move to OS
X."  I saw people comment that it was too soon, that they supported
Apple pushing OS X but that they shouldn't force people to do it too
soon.  Well, they're *not* forcing you to move to OS X.  It's more than
a year after the iLamp and iPhoto caught my attention and I know people
who are running OS 9 on those cool black Powerbooks like the woman uses
on Sex and the City and they're running OS 9 on them just fine.

You want current development effort to be wasted on people running old
machines and running outdated OS's.  That's ridiculous - and that's an
opinion of mine, but it is obviously shared by Apple, which makes it a
reality.

> There is no reason they can't have a very small team doing some
> support.
> Don't you think they could SELL some of the iApps, if they made them
> for OS9?
> I think they could. Shoot, they have a whole team working on OSX on
> Intel
> machines, that obviously isn't making them any money. We all know that
> OSX is
> the future, but some of us can't afford to go yet, and don't like being
> treated badly, just because we can't. Not every Mac owner is in a high
> paying
> career.

Yeah, and Microsoft could keep coding versions of Office for Windows
3.1 or Windows 95 as well - do you think they do it?  Heck no, and I
bet the number of current Win 3.1 & Win95 users far outnumber the
number of OS 9 users.

On a more personal level - you can't afford a new machine.  I feel for
you, even though I certainly can.  But it is simply unrealistic to
expect Apple to keep one foot in the past while struggling to maintain
and even gain ground in the market of the future.  Sorry, but Apple's
already decided it isn't important to sell iApps and other things to
people in your shoes - not much to be done about it but deal with it
and move on.