[MacDV] Sorry for this :(

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 31 19:27:58 PST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 08:38 PM, digitalcinema at shaw.ca wrote:

>  . . . First I did I ran Disk Utility on the Mac OS X CD and detected
> erros on the drive so I corrected them and then rebooted. Problems
> still persisted so I re-installed

OS X?

> and now I was having similar problems (could not get online). I ran
> Disk Utility and it detected no errors but I guess the lights on the
> Cable Modem were haivng a panic and was not able to get online. Now
> everything is working fine. Any ideas of what may be happening here?

Well, there could be a lot of reasons why you can't get the Mac and
cable modem to talk. Assuming you haven't changed any of the Mac
network settings and things just "started working" - that would seem to
point to the cable service. Usually there are a set of lights on the
front Power, Cable connection, and PC Connection, and all three should
be on solid for the connection to work. Then there are one or two data
lights that flash all the time. If the "Cable" light flashes, it means
that your modem is trying to connect to the network and you won't be
able to send or receive data until its done - quite different from the
data light is flashing.

The labels on your cable modem lights may be different, but usually the
number of lights and intent is fairly consistent across brands. If you
remember which light was flashing, that could solve the riddle.

SR