Which 3ccd camera?

Richard McIntyre mail at mackstar.com
Tue Jul 1 20:09:36 PDT 2003

Hello

I have been using a Canon PV1 (Elura I think??) But I have had a dead pixel,
battery performance is poor and have had trouble playing tapes back in Sony
decks and camera's which most of the studio's/output centers that I work
with are using.  I am also doing more video work on a semi proffesional
basis and need a bit more performance, but I would not like it to be too
big, the vx-2000 was a bit big for my liking.

I am considering 3 models, the Sony DSR-TRV950, the Canon XV2 and the
Panasonc MX5000. I am in Japan and have a budget of about 230,000yen (2000
dollars)

Will the footage shot with the Panasonic and Canon models play back tapes in
a Sony deck/Camera?? This is my main concern, but I was also wondering what
the performance was like on the Panasonic was like compared with the Sony
which seems to be the obvious choice amongst the Japanese. I noticed that on
the VX2000 even the quality of the tape mechanism was so much better than
the cheaper options could this also be said in the TRV950?

I would love to hear your experiences!

Many thanks

Richard