Initializing log and capture (FCP4)

Tim Shirey shirey at illustratedWORD.com
Thu Jul 3 16:18:59 PDT 2003

I am attempting to log and capture footage from my Canon GL2 which is
connected by firewire through the external firewire HD to the G4 PB, using
FCP4.  Every time I try to initialize the log and capture screen, it just
hangs and I have to force quite the program.

I used to do this under FCP3.  I should mention that I got the log and
capture screen to open ONCE last night when I reset the scratch disk
settings to the PB HD BUT (to confuse things more....) could not duplicate
the experience again.  The next time it went back to hanging indefinately
(showing the "initializing log and capture and the moving blue/white candy
cane progress strip).  I shouldn't have to limit my scratch disk the the
internal HD.

Any thoughts of how I can avoid the program hanging when I click on the "log
and capture" link?

I could do my DV camera log and captures through iMovies but this is not the
best solution.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Tim S.