Accelerating a G4

Gary Dalzell gdalzelltwo at cox.net
Sun Jul 6 10:10:18 PDT 2003

I've been playing around with Ichat and find (disappointingly) that my Mac
stable is hopelessly behind the power curve. My 350 MHz AGP G4 is barely
able to audio chat (no video yet); both the Imac DV and 300 MHz Ibook will
not load the video. I have a nice, tidy home network for some business and
lots of home use.

In thinking what to do next, I received some information about G4 1.2 GHZ
Processor Upgrade for $500. A few years ago, I was able to extend the life
of a Powerbase clone for a couple of years by adding a G3 upgrade and was
generally satisfied. I am wondering if I can accomplish the same "extended"
life to the G4.

Does anyone have any experience with these Upgrades? What are the goods and
bads of this type of scenario?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

TIA

Gary