[Off Maybe] Video Conference setup?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 00:27:30 PDT 2003

> From: Dennis Little <dlittle at qmedcorp.com>
>
> If there's a better place for this, feel free to tell me where.
>
> I've been asked to do some research on video conferencing packages.  At
> present, we don't have anything -- no camera, no software, no nothing
> -- but
> will be using this pretty frequently.  Video conference centers seem
> to want
> about $150 and up per hour so I'm hoping getting a setup of our own
> will be
> decently cost competitive.  Anybody have suggestions?

If everybody involved has Macs running OS X and broadband, then I'd
HIGHLY recommend iChatAV and iSight. Absolutely incredible.

iChatAV works with other FW cameras as well, but at present it's Mac
(OS X) only.

If you have a mixed set of participants (iow, some of them are running
PCs), I'd still STRONGLY recommend FW webcams or FW videocams over
anything else (and broadband!). You can try using Squidcam on the Macs.
PCs usually have some crappo vidconf software either built-in or comes
with the camera.

_Chas_

The CPU speed wars are over. We won.
http://www.apple.com/powermac/