[MacDV] Re: OT: AAC > MP3

Illovox Media illovox at oz.net
Sat Jul 12 21:28:33 PDT 2003

I suspect that for many, music sharing on a "check this one out" level is
more akin to hearing a song, then telling your friends about it by humming
it or singing it for them.  This form of artistic sharing used to be the
norm...EVERYWHERE.  Now that art has been commoditized as more toasters for
multinationals to reap profit with, it has become criminal.  I don't know
where I stand, both as a writer and a visual artist.  I know I like seeing
people let other people know about my work by sharing it, and I also like
getting cash.  My experience has been that people who "sample" my work also
buy it if they like it, as a positive consequence of the commoditization.
How so?  In a capitalistic culture, art has become a product or a thing to
be had, bought, sold, rather than an experience and a communion.  I can also
say that when I experience the latter in a vibrant way, I would gladly trade
cash and sales for a few "full houses."