OT: AAC > MP3

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jul 13 16:00:44 PDT 2003

> From: "Gerhard" <gerhardk at mac.com>
>

> Chad is it your contention that shoplifting is fine but when you steal
> in larger quantities it becomes a crime or somehow depraved?

No. How about you try to understand what I'm saying first BEFORE you
start calling me names?

(and speaking of names, it's "Chas" not "Chad.")

> For a self-righteous sort as yourself I would have assumed that you
> know
> that fair use is to provide the purchaser with the opportunity to use
> their music in various forms for their O W N use not for sharing with
> buddies,

I'm EXTREMELY well versed in the US version of "fair use" law, having
used it successfully in some court cases. I did not attempt to dismiss
my tape-sharing as "fair use." Indeed, I didn't bring up "fair use" in
my post at all.

>  there is no distinction between formats sharing is verboten -
> no cassettes, no mp3s or what ever your file preference is nor is are a
> small number of infractions considered acceptable.

I never said they were. Again, maybe you should wait until you fully
comprehend what was being said (asking me to clarify any points you
weren't sure of would have been fine) before going on the attack.

_Chas_

"Here is the thing you will learn from really using an OS X Macintosh,
and must somehow accept on faith if that's what it takes to get you to
Switch: Apple makes design decisions based on a sincere desire to make
your life better." -- Glenn McDonald