MPG to MPG2

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Mon Jul 14 05:51:43 PDT 2003

On 7/14/03 at 12:55 AM, Larry Richelli <larryr at mac.com> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>Hi
>I have tried many ways to do this including exporting from quicktime
>to a ..mov file and then try importing into Itunes so that I could
>save it and use IVCD to make an MPG2 and burn it to CD as a SVCD but
>it won't work...I get no sound. I have tried so many different things
>I can't remember them all. Any possibility of doing this?
>Thanks

Yes.

You need to demux the file into separate audio and video tracks (that
will give you an m1v (video) and mp2 (audio) track.

Then, reencode the video to m2v (MPEG-2).

Finally, remux as SVCD-compliant MPEG-2.

You can use Cleaner, ffmpegX, or MissingMPEG Tools for these operations.
Personally, I would use ffmpegX (shareware) as it's a lot easier to use
than MissingMPEGTools (freeware) and a lot cheaper than Cleaner
(commercial).

--
Dennis Cohen
Mac Digital Photography (Sept 2003)