G5 TV Ad

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jul 18 00:37:14 PDT 2003

> From: Rod Duncan <roduncan at telus.net>
> I find the ad lacking in originality, too.

Saying that you find the ad lacking in originality is one thing --
you're commenting on what you saw in the ad. Drawing some kind of weird
9/11 connection when it is CLEAR that none was intended or exists is
quite another -- Kunga is reacting to invented connections that AREN'T
there.

While I may or may not totally agree with your opinion of the ad, I can
easily see where you would come by it. Kunga's interpretation, on the
other hand, seems to be unique.

The further out your interpretation is from the impression the majority
got, the more "weird looks" you're going to get. On a mailing list,
"weird looks" translates into "testy responses." That doesn't mean you
have to renounce your view -- it's intended as data to help you judge
the value of your initial impression. If one thought one saw the image
of the Virgin Mary in one's soup, and 999 other people -- mostly
priests and other very religious people -- tell you they honestly don't
know where you get that from, one would be wise to reconsider and
ponder the possibility that one misinterpreted the signs.

> However Apple is an American company and it is an American-style ad.
> Boom... Bang... Bigger... Faster... if it offends thee. Blow it up.
> It is the American way.

Heh, I certainly can't disagree with your interpretation as an ad that
embraces American values of "bigger, faster, explosive." I hadn't
thought of it that way, but you're right that it's a sentiment
Americans seem to respond to.

I find it amusing that you appear to think you agree with Kunga, yet
your interpretation of the ad is 100% opposite his. You see the ad as
"typically American" in its mentality. Kunga appears to believe that
the ad makes light of or dismisses (or supports?) the 9/11 attack on
the WTC -- surely about as anti-American as you can get?

_Chas_

If this country had a national motto, it would be "DOH!"