[MacDV] Much Ado About Nothing - Apple AD's in general

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Fri Jul 18 09:46:22 PDT 2003

On 7/17/03 5:09 PM, "Macintosh Digital Video List"
<MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> If a complaint should be raised, it should be that this ad, like all
> Apple ads, doesn't say much about the hardware or show it in use. Jeff
> Goldbloom's voiceover doesn't mention any of the special features of
> the G5 (world's first 64-bit processor in a desktop computer, up to 8
> GB of RAM, up to 1 GHz front-side bus, etc.).

This has been a common complaint in the Mac community for a long time.  I
once asked an Advertising "Expert" if he thought Apple ads were good for
selling more Macs (as opposed to winning Advertising awards and being
entertaining).

He said yes they were very good.  He said you can't show enough of the
features of something complex like a computer in a 30 second Ad and have it
retained by the general public.  You don't make the sale in the Ad.  All you
can do is to be memorable (usually by being funny or dramatic) so that when
someone thinks it's time to buy a computer they include your brand on their
short list.  Then when they're in the store on on the web the features will
come out.

We had a long interesting conversation about this and I think he would say
about this Ad that it's best to only make one major point which is speed but
"being blown away" is better than "being fast".  They do make a second minor
point in the Ad when they show the computer - how elegant it looks but that
is not as good a selling point since other manufactures also have pretty
boxes (on the outside anyway).

Frank

--
Frank Flynn