[MacDV] Re: The quality of 8MM film

K. kochkodin at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 12:48:24 PDT 2003

Jim Asherman wrote:I project the film onto a suspended piece of white paper.

> Position the camera as close to the projector as possible an still
> control both.
> White balance can be tricky. Auto is good. Indoor is good. Sometimes the
> outdoor shots actually look better if you switch to outdoor.
>   Film can be fragile and I have had some bad luck. VideoTape every frame
> you play.
> It may break and never play again or get stuck in the machine.
> Make sure the projector is clean and lubed if possible. (Really you
> should lybe the film but let's not obsess). I used Radio Shack Tape head
> lubricant which worked quite well.
> (on the projector film guides and gate and such)
> Tape everything. Twice if necessary. Then put the film and projector
> aside and just deal with your camera tapes from there.
> Jim

Hi Jim,
Would you consider doing this for me?  I have about 8  50' 8mm reels that I would dearly
love to get onto videotape.IT was all shot on a Keystone 8mm camera and is in excellent
shape....EXCEPT 1 roll tore in 1 spot..(hopefully it can be spliced) due to the
projector...I am afraid to try to use the projector since it was used when I got it and
it had a tendency to let the film get loose and jump.  I would be glaad to have you
undertake this project if you  would care to....I am not looking for "professional"
quality, but would want it to be viewable on a vcr and maybe be good enough quality for
me to transfer to DVD using my Phillips + deck...  If you aren't interested, please let
me know , ok?  It is not a rush item.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Kochkodin
PS I am in central PA...