[MacDV] Re: The quality of 8MM film

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 23 12:50:05 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 01:41 PM, Paul Williams wrote:

> You're thinking along my lines. I was going to paint an entire wall
> white, or do something like you suggest with the white paper, and film
> from there. I was also thinking of getting the highest quality screen
> i can find and use that.

Don't use a regular projection screen - they all have some grain, and
they're designed to kick the maximum amount of light back to the
audience. Use a matte white surface. Something not just white, but
super white.

> I was also tossed up as to whether the distance of the camera from the
> projection surface would make a significant difference. I would think
> being too far away could cause a loss of color and contrast or just
> not enough light in general, but being too close might not provide
> enough "picture". Any additional thoughts?

It depends entirely on how the scene was shot. Typically, your average
8mm camera film is not very uniform. There will be a scene panning
around a room with Aunt Effie and the cousins on the far wall, waving
out of the darkness, then suddenly you pan onto the baby's face that is
4 feet away and bright as the surface of the sun. Just shoot the whole
thing two times, once for the bright parts and once for the dark, and
put it together when you edit.

Also, you can do a lot with speed in editing. When in doubt, go slow.
Slow usually looks sensitive, while fast looks comical and ruins the
emotional impact of any scene.

SR