iMovie question

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Thu Jul 24 11:18:34 PDT 2003

<<< You can't really "splice" clips in iMovie.>>>

Well, that's the bottom line then. Too bad. Perhaps that will be a
feature added someday. Can you splice clips in FCP?

<<<Check your preference settings to see whether you have iMovie
creating
new clips at "scene breaks" -- that means, when your camera detects a
scene break (such as when the record button is turned off, then back
on).>>>

Yes, I like it that way. It is set to create new clips. The problem is
it didn't detect the breaks where commercials would have been on these
Roseanne shows(there are none since it is Columbia House but there is
fade to  black where they would be and before the next act begins - the
camera didn't see that as a break). It just recorded the max 9:28 each
time. It also didn't break up the opening title song from the first act
which is understandable since there really is no break - a slight fade
to black before the act begins. Same with ending credits.

<<<If you turn off scene break detection and manually control the Import
process, you can create clips the lengths you desire, as long as the 2GB
limit doesn't enter the picture. Start each "scene" a little early and
let it run a little long, then trim off the ends in iMovie, rewind the
tape a bit and import the next clip the same way. It's tedious, but
should get you the organization you seek.>>>

Yeah, that would mean re-importing the tapes and it's not worth it for
some obsessive compulsive need I have to have all the clips broken up
accordingly. I'll just have to live with my clips pane being illogical!

<<<If, as I suspect, you're bringing in your VHS Roseanne tapes, just
import directly to the Clip Viewer/Timeline rather than to the Clips
pane. >>>

I didn't know you could do that.

 >>>for a bulk
import, go with importing directly to the Timeline and don't worry about
how long each clip is -- iMovie does the bookkeeping for you and the
clip breaks won't affect your output.>>>

Maybe I'll try that next time.
Thanks,
Kathy