New to list - suggestions invited, please!

MrWitch mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 27 20:13:48 PDT 2003

I know that this is a Digital Video list, but this subject is related...

I am new to Macs, but have used & built PC's for years, and have tried
to do video capture on my PC, but it crashes too much for it to be
reliable. I currently have a PM 7300/200 running OS 9.1 and OS X 10.1.5,
comfortably I might add. What I want to do is capture analog video from
VHS tapes (about 500 of them!) to a Mac, and then burn Video CD's, Super
Video CD's, or DVD's from these captured tapes.

I asked on the G-List about the cheapest machine that I could use for
this, and I have decided on buying a Blue & White G3 or a Sawtooth G4. I
would like the opinions of this list on the following, though:

I'd prefer a PCI capture card/TV tuner card, but all I have seen for
Macs are professional cards that cost upwards of $700 or much more. Is
there a Mac PCI card out there that is inexpensive, can capture at least
352x288 or better, captures stereo audio, & works with OS 9 and OS X? Or
do I have to go with a FireWire A/D D/A box that's still overpriced and
doesn't do as well?

Is there a all-in-one software solution for OS 9 or OS X or both that is
easy to use, reliable, and inexpensive or free for
capturing/editing/filtering/encoding/burning VCD/SVCD/DVD's?? If not,
what programs do you recommend, and where can they be found?

I do have copies of iMovie, Final Cut Pro 3, and Final Cut Express. Are
these good for what I want to use them for? None (except iMovie, which
came with OS X) are installed yet. I have some very good friends who are
Mac nuts who have tried to help me out, but they don't know about video
stuff...

This is all new to me, so forgive me if my questions are simplistic.
With the software side, I will need lots of help, so good documentation
is a must - either on the Web or in the program itself.

Thanks for any help

Michael

Apple Power Macintosh 7300 200 MHz running OS 9.1 & OS X 10.1.5, w/ 288
MB RAM
Apple Macintosh IIfx running MacOS 8.1, w/ 40 MB RAM