[MacDV] Re: New to list - suggestions invited, please!

MrWitch mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 02:02:24 PDT 2003

 >From: Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org>
 >
 >Canopus ADVC-100 analog to DV transocder $259 (google to find
 >comparisons)
 >
 ><http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp>
 >
 >I don't know where you got your misinformation. The external Canopus
 >converter is the best you can get.

That may be, I haven't any EXPERIENCE with these, just the specs I read
on the MFG's sites and the retail boxes. This is still kinda out of my
price range...

 >Firewire into a G4 or G5 Power Mac running FCP 3 or just plain old
 >iMovie 3.0.3. Forget about buying a G3. That would be the dumbest thing
 >you could do. G3s are becoming Multimedia dinosaurs because of iChat
 >AV, FCP Real Time and the G5. You're better off with a 450 G4 than a
 >700 G3.

Well...  I don't plan on using iChat...  what the hell good is iChat for
video?

 >Toast 6 will let you make SVCDs easily in September. $99 minus
 >introductory rebates/upgrade price.
 >
 >But you should really buy a new dual 1.25 GHz G4 for $1599 to avoid
 >frustration. Especially with FCP 3. The price is too low to ignore any
 >longer. Apple will let you pay just a few dollars a month to own one.
 >
 >I think putting money into old slower Macs is short sighted and may
 >lead to big disappointments soon thereafter. If this reads like I think
 >you can afford it and you don't think you can, I apologize. I believe
 >in debt and financing rather than going with less than the best.
 >Other's don't.

Sorry, but you misread me then. While I would love to get one of these
systems (especially a G5!), Social Security Disability won't give me the
money. I can't afford $1500 for a computer, no matter how good or who
makes it, anymore. I have to get the cheapest thing I can find that will
do the job. I don't care how long it takes to render, encode, whatever -
as long as the finished product is of the best quality I can do, and is
compatible with every drive/player I have.

Sorry, but a dual G4 or a G5 is NOT an option...  thanks for your comments.

Michael