My apologies

MrWitch mrwitch at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 19:21:33 PDT 2003

Perhaps it was the tone in which the messages were delivered that
offended me. In any case, I apologize.

The $30 discs were possibly DVD-RAM discs. Or perhaps they were for
"authouring". I don't remember. All I remember is that they were so
expensive, it turned me off from using DVD recordable formats until
things got realistic. If these discs are now $3 and under, this makes me
think about reconsidering this format. It still isn't as cheap as
CD-R/RW, or even VHS, but it is now realistic.

I realise that the Canopus device is the same price, PC or Mac. What I
was referring to was the plethora of PC PCI solutions that are less than
$100 (or even $50) that work fine. This is what I meant about drivers.
Since OS X is so similar to BSD and Linux, surely the manufacturers (or
the Open Source community) could write some drivers for these things for
Mac systems.

As far as the camera thing goes: I will never be so broke as to return a
perfectly good item like this just to save money. My sense of honour
will never allow me to do something like this. I understand why it was
said, but I will never consider it. Enough said.

As far as hardware goes now...  I guess this is what I'm going to do. A
B&W G3 w/ a G4 ZIF upgrade or a Sawtooth G4, using something for
capture. Whether this is a FireWire device, or a cheap 85/95/9600
PowerMac, remains to be seen. Depends on what I can get for how much, if
the older Mac passes the right tests, and what further research finds.

What I was really concerned about though was software. I have searched
and searched the Web, and can find little about S/VCD authoring on Macs.
  What there is is tersely written and difficult for a Mac newbie to
follow. It is amazing to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that Final Cut
Pro, Final Cut Express, iMovie, iDVD... all Apple apps... and none of
them support S/VCD. None. Is there an all-in-one app for Mac OS 9 or OS
X that does? I'm looking for edit, encoding, rendering, and creation of
the disc image or burning to disc. Capture would be nice too, but not
essential. What is essential is the final output be useable across all
platforms and set-top DVD players that support such things.

If there is not an all-in-one proggie, what Mac proggies are needed? I
am looking for ease of use, ease of installation, stability, and
compliant output of the discs without problems like out of sync sound,
menus and chapters that don't work, and the like. These are all common
problems with the PC software I have tried before.

A little note: as far as PC software goes (for those who may care) I
tried almost everything for capture and editing. Premiere, Ulead, all
except Avid software (couldn't get a copy). Amazingly, the commercial
stuff stunk! Unstable, bad captures, difficult to use, bad editing
features, you name it. What did work, though, surprised me. Two little
apps called VIrtualDub (I used it for editing, the capture feature
didn't work on my system due to incompatible driver models - it used VxD
and I had WDM), and a little app called Virtual VCR. Both are freeware!
Both work...  just work. Stable, simple, but powerful and
feature-filled. Amazing how a free application can beat a $500 app, eh?

M.