Shooting DV for global NTSC/PAL distribution...

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Jul 29 01:34:58 PDT 2003

I've read many posts debating the PAL/NTSC format and thought I'd throw
in two cents worth...

Why not consider shooting in a more universal format capable of being
converted either to NTSC or PAL...?

1) Shoot 16mm film or 35mm film, which can easily be converted from
24fps to either NTSC or PAL... where the caveat would be (at the
feature film level) the six figure cost for film and lab, and, well,
the additional film transfer cost, adding quite a bit more to the
bottom line.

However to save a ton of money...

2) Shoot 24P (frame based 24 frame (not field based) per second video,
starting with the Panasonic AG-DVX100 at $3,379.95 (B&H Photo), which,
given the digital format, and true 24P capability, should digitally
translate either to NTSC or PAL even with the slight magnification of
image size this might entail. There are a variety of digital frame rate
conversions, where 24 frames per second is a perfect jumping off point.
Getting to true FRAMES (not field based video) is the key, and is
possible with the inexpensive Panasonic described . When the footage is
in 24P format, it will be possible to convert it relatively
universally... and the result will be superior to converting ordinary
NTSC to PAL, where field and frame rate conversion-based artifacts
always limit the quality of the conversion. Certain countries, Germany,
in particular, are very quality oriented as to their video, and until
24P video arrived to democratize translation possibilities, only a very
few NTSC to PAL conversions were acceptable to them.

While high def, such as the 24P video produced by the Sony CineAlta,
due to its higher than broadcast video (NTSC _or_ PAL) resolution,
offers the best possible conversion to NTSC or PAL, even the lesser
video resolution offered by the DVX100, due to its ability to generate
pure 24P (see www.dvfilm.com for more info), and due to the clean
manner by which well shot digital images can be slightly enlarged
without massive problems, I suspect DVX100 24P to PAL should surpass
any standard definition NTSC to PAL transfer, even that of many
broadcast cameras. The translation to NTSC, of course, is de facto
within the camera itself, which utilizes a 3:2 pulldown to record 24P
to an NTSC tape.

Thus, I would suggest this new Panasonic should be the camera of choice
for all working independently, with what some producers might call
"micro budgets" with the intent to distribute globally.

Richard Brown