[MacDV] Re: Using Commercial Music in a Video

Lisa Kirsch flygirl at flygirlonline.com
Wed Jul 30 19:22:04 PDT 2003

Okay, here comes my reply :)  Thank you, everyone, for your help!:

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 06:43 AM, Michael Winter wrote:
> My interpretation of this is that its OK to do it since the "customer"
> is using music they purchased for personal use -just hiring someone
> else to do it ... Is that what you were referring to?

Yes, that was pretty much my interpretation too.

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 07:34 AM, Steven Rogers wrote:
> No, they're just doing it and don't care whether its legal.

Darn =(  I suppose I shouldn't jump on the bandwagon.

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 10:33 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
> [If] Fred OWNS three CD's, uses two tracks from each of these CD's,
> and uses these six tracks as music in the background of an small
> independent film, which he replicates on DVD to the tune of 25,000
> copies for a smashing home theater premiere advertised in Premiere and
> TV Guide Magazines... Fred will owe a minimum of $100,000 (prior to
> damages) to each offended party, and will lose with certainty any
> lawsuit asking for this money ... This is why royalty free music
> libraries exist, BUT, when you buy music from such sources, you do
> sign an AGREEMENT as to your rights of use, which DO NOT INCLUDE free
> use for commercial projects (broadcast TV, feature films, etc.) in
> which case you will OWE usage fees. The big difference, these usage
> fees are TINY next to using popular music.

Thank you for the info :) Fortunately I won't be doing anything too
significant with the photo montage videos; they will be for the
customers' personal use (I hope).

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 11:29 AM, Steven Rogers wrote:
> Buying the CD does not give unlimited rights - not even unlimited
> rights for you personally. The problem is that laying the music under
> video is not one of the rights you buy when you purchase the CD.

Darn again, and thanks very much :)

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 11:59 AM, Gerhard wrote:
> Steve Jobs implied during the introduction of the iLife suite that
> including music from your iMusic library in iMovies and iPhoto slide
> shows was o.k.

Good point. Not that Steve Jobs is right (now that I have read all
replies to my thread), but like others have said, there is no real harm
done so no one seems to care.

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 12:10 PM, sb wrote:
> There are many good websites online that discuss copyright issues. One
> is maintained by Stanford Univ Law professor Lawrence Lessig.
> http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

Thanks :)

--Lisa Kirsch