[MacDV] Re: question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Sun Jun 1 02:01:56 PDT 2003

> 1. curious why you suggest a refurb. i'm going to lease this time so i
> won't
> be stuck with something worthless that i can't sell in three years.
Make sure your lease is cool, usually you end up paying about 50% more
regardless, despite the upgrades etc...
> 4. is the superdrive good because you can burn CDs and DVDs? does it
> serve
> another purpose.
GET the superdrive... you will kick yourself if you don't. I did.
> 5. is the seagate drive you're talking about external or internal, and
> what
> size you do you suggest? also, how much RAM to comfortably edit video
> and
> audio?
IMO it's better to get a couple of smaller rather than one big. Makes
life a little easier if one goes down.
Get as much ram as you can afford. At least 1GIG, to start, that should
hold you for a while.
Sign up for a class at a decent College or University... life
drawing... whtevr. But make sure they have a store that sells software.
I did that at NYU and got everything adobe makes (except AfterEffects)
fro $600. InDesign, PS, Ill, Acrobat, go live. in motion... etc.
I have an InDesign for sale at academic rates if yer interested, it
blows quark away.

As an out of work graphic designer myself, I've already run into the
wall with AE and FCP wanting more ram. Everything else will just fly,
and you will love it.

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599