question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jun 1 21:05:44 PDT 2003

> From: "Erica Sadun" <erica at mindspring.com>
>> No, but if you're working in video, TRUST ME you need a Superdrive.
>
> I disagree.
>
> I don't think working in video requires a superdrive.

Let me clarify a little. The OP said that she was planning to work
mostly with self-written and produced documentaries. This is a specific
form of "video," and not the same thing as, say, putting together
compilations of music videos (which I do quite happily without a
Superdrive).

The ability to create DVDs quickly and easily is *immensely* helpful
for things such as:
* distributing "dailies" to crew members
* creating "rough cuts" for test audiences, composers, editors etc.
* preparing "portfolios" of work for investors
* creating "showcase" videos for employers/clients
* backing up important DV footage
* getting footage quickly to far-flung collaborators w/o sacrificing
quality

and many, many other potential uses. To be a digital filmmaker without
a Superdrive is like being a field goal kicker with only one leg.

> Photoshop Elements. iMovie. QuickTime Pro. You can get set up
> for under $100 and do nearly all the digital video work you
> need to.

I certainly concur that these tools are an excellent way to get started
in video, and perhaps they will meet the OP's needs for the time being.
I think, however, that it is best to make the sacrifice and get the
"real" tools she will inevitably be working with (FCP etc) as soon as
possible.

_Chas_

Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to write a great piece
of software?

A: More!