[MacDV] Re: question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 1 21:46:36 PDT 2003

>>From: "Erica Sadun" <erica at mindspring.com>
>>>No, but if you're working in video, TRUST ME you need a Superdrive.
>>
>>I disagree.
>>
>>I don't think working in video requires a superdrive.
>>
>Let me clarify a little. The OP said that she was planning to work
>mostly with self-written and produced documentaries. This is a
>specific form of "video," and not the same thing as, say, putting
>together compilations of music videos (which I do quite happily
>without a Superdrive).

Ah. Missed that.

Then she's not going to have tons of time to go attend
classes and get student discounts.

>The ability to create DVDs quickly and easily is *immensely* helpful
>for things such as:
>* distributing "dailies" to crew members
>* creating "rough cuts" for test audiences, composers, editors etc.
>* preparing "portfolios" of work for investors
>* creating "showcase" videos for employers/clients
>* backing up important DV footage
>* getting footage quickly to far-flung collaborators w/o sacrificing quality

Agreed, but my vague recollection of her post
was about how to get started.

It's always better to buy technology later than sooner.

I'd hold off on a DVD drive until its absolutely necessary.

Did she mention working with crew members, test audiences, investors
and so forth?  If she's really just starting, VHS will do the job.

>and many, many other potential uses. To be a digital filmmaker
>without a Superdrive is like being a field goal kicker with only one
>leg.

Define digital filmmaker. (No, I don't really want you to. It's
rhetorical. My point is that digital filmmaker spans the range
from the first-timer with a new baby all the way up to Lucas.
Get just enough tools to get each job done)

>>Photoshop Elements. iMovie. QuickTime Pro. You can get set up
>>for under $100 and do nearly all the digital video work you
>>need to.
>
>I certainly concur that these tools are an excellent way to get
>started in video,

And wasn't that her point?

>  and perhaps they will meet the OP's needs for the time being. I
>think, however, that it is best to make the sacrifice and get the
>"real" tools she will inevitably be working with (FCP etc) as soon
>as possible.

This is like buying script software before you know if you
know how to write.

If you have the storytelling skills for video and the
self discipline for editing, pacing and so forth, you can
build using lesser tools and work your way up to better ones.

-- Erica, pragmatist