[MacDV] Re: question about which G4 to buy for digital vido

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Mon Jun 2 11:30:06 PDT 2003

>>>  Have to agree, a hammer doesn't make a carpenter.
>> no, but no one finds out if he/she is a carpenter by NOT picking up a
>> hammer...
> True, but one can pick up a decent economy hammer before one
> invests in an aerodynamic solid-titanium leather-handled
> Thor-Master (TM) special.

You know it seems to me we have a real split on this list. One side
always seems to say "spend the money, get the good stuff, and the good
tools" and the other seems to support a "low-tec" approach. Minimal
tools for the job and all that.

Personally I've done both. I had a FrankenMac for years, and
considering I could not afford better, it served me well. My experience
was, that to some degree it limited my capabilities and hence my
choices as a creative person. We are talking early 90's here, but
still, I knew that if I applied that filter in PS that it would take 20
mins to render... so often, even though I was not sure what the final
result would be an would have liked to experiment I did not.

The OP says they want to do documentaries. So that implies that a
"low-tec" approach might be in order. The question is this: Other than
due to financial constraints why limit yourself with equipment or
software?

My old (and hotly contested adage) is buy the best/fastest/loaded
machine you can buy. Computing is the only place where I think this is
true. You may not need dual processors and tons of ram, but my
experience is that if you have them you will eventually use them. An
overpowered machine is only that for so long... until you find out that
using a different software package does something better and of course
it want's more ram...

That's why I said get the SuperDrive. You may not use it, ever. But if
you need it once, the trouble you will go through "working around",
transferring files to an external HD, going to your friends house,
file, the fonts, the program whatever etc.... will be worth the money
spent.

If the OP is a graphic designer (or am I just confused?) they will be
well versed with what a pain it is to go to a service bureau. Think of
the SuperDrive as a built in service bureau, should you want to show
people something and don't want it to look like crap on a VHS.

my dimes worth.

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599