[MacDV] Re: OT: must see TV!

Chris Searles csearles at t-online.de
Mon Jun 2 12:18:53 PDT 2003

On Montag, Juni 2, 2003, at 08:49  Uhr, Matthew Guemple wrote:

> This bit is interesting hmmm...
> "The idea for the advert derived partly from the old children's game
> Mouse Trap, and from the wacky engineering of Caractacus Potts's
> breakfast-making machine in the Sixties film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. > "
>
> So much for credit where credit is due... or due diligence. In light
> of this. "This is a direct take from some German (Swiss?) artists
> whose original work "Der Lauf der Dinge" (from the 80s I believe)"

Maybe, but I still believe the BRITISH advertising agency who made the
commercial derived their inspiration from those Swiss artists whose
work - as I posted in a previous mail - is distributed on video by the
Institute for Contemporary Art in LONDON. Granted, there were such
"Spielereien" in the 60s like Mouse Trap (a game which I personally
remember well) and different "wacky machines" in all sorts of films,
but the way that Honda commercial is set up is obviously a direct
borrowing - I'm tempted, of course, to use another word, but my better
judgment tells me not to - from the idea of those Swiss guys.

Here again the link to their site with a QT trailer of their work "Der
Lauf der Dinge":

http://www.tcfilm.ch/lauf_txt_e.htm

Chris Searles