OT: must see TV!

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 12:44:50 PDT 2003

> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>
> This bit is interesting hmmm...
> "The idea for the advert derived partly from the old children's game
> Mouse Trap, and from the wacky engineering of Caractacus Potts's
> breakfast-making machine in the Sixties film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. "
>
> So much for credit where credit is due... or due diligence. In light of
> this. "This is a direct take from some German (Swiss?) artists whose
> original work "Der Lauf der Dinge" (from the 80s I believe)"

Credit is due my foot!

This ALL comes from the inspiration of Rube Goldberg, PERIOD.

The mention of the influences in the article is probably true and
correct. The filmmakers are probably too young to remember Rube
Goldberg directly, but they were inspired by the work of people who
were inspired by him.

As for the imagined "snub" of "Der Lauf der Dinge," it isn't. Those
artists were inspired from the same source. It's QUITE possible that
the Honda filmmakers never saw/weren't aware of "Def Lauf der Dinge,"
despite its similarity.

This sort of thing happens all the time. I recently came across a band
that sounded quite a bit like the Byrds. When I asked them about it,
they'd barely even HEARD of the Byrds -- turns out they were heavily
influenced by early REM, who in turn were influenced by the Byrds. The
wheel turns.

_Chas_

If this country had a national motto, it would be "DOH!"