question about which G4 to buy for digital video

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 15:07:57 PDT 2003

Perhaps the real answer is simply spend your money where it is going to count. Only you will know what is important and what is not. Often what you think you need is actually just some toy you'd love to own whose function you could farm out to a 3rd party since you'd need it only occasionally.

>You know it seems to me we have a real split on this list. One >side always seems to say "spend the money, get the good stuff, >and the good tools" and the other seems to support a "low-tec" >approach. Minimal tools for the job and all that.

A consideration: More will probably have VHS than DVD at the present time although this will change sooner or later. This is not to say that you shouldn't include a Superdrive in your plans - just that you should weigh all factors concerning what is important to your plans right now and what can wait.

>If the OP is a graphic designer (or am I just confused?) they >will be  well versed with what a pain it is to go to a service >bureau. Think of the SuperDrive as a built in service bureau, >should you want to show people something and don't want it to >look like crap on a VHS.

-Dave