DSL in Rural areas--MacDV Digest #2211

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Jun 2 17:38:23 PDT 2003

> From: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 17:07:59 -0700
> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: MacDV Digest #2211

> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:23:37 +0000
> From: lloyds <lloyds at vermontel.net>
> Subject: [MacDV] Re: Download OS 10.2.6
>
> Charles Martin says: "PS. Get broadband if it's available to you. These
> large "update" sizes
> are only going to get BIGGER from here on out. Broadband should now be
> considered part of the cost of doing business, again if you have the
> option."
>
> I would in a sec if it were available.  I'm about 2000 feet beyond the
> range of the nearest substation, here in rural Vermont.  I'm told that I
> have to organize all the neighbors to call up repeatedly for over a year
> before the company will think about installing a nearer station.
>
> BobLL

If DSL is only 2000 feet from you, perhaps you and your neighbors can
arrange for someone just within the range to pick up the service, while you
and other neighbors arrange to do some form of wireless network in your
neighborhood.

There are/have been some federal grants available to extend high-speed
internet access to rural areas.

I can't remember where to find the info, but do some searching and you'll
come up with the info.  Start with the FCC.  The grants I ran across had the
word "rural" in them, if I recall correctly.

Good Luck.

Ted.