Still Camera to Video

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Tue Jun 3 05:55:38 PDT 2003

On 6/3/03 at 5:32 AM -0700, Macintosh Digital Video List wrote:
>On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 12:50  PM, Kevin Ledgister wrote:
>
>>  Has anyone used the video stream from a digital camera?  I know some
>>  export to QuickTime and others to AVI, but I'm guessing that its
>>  compressed compared to DV.
>>
>  > If anyone can speak to the quality issue, that would be helpful.

I've used my Nikon CoolPix 775 to output live streaming video. I use
the TV out RCA port to attach to various analog capture cards in my
various Macs. (Built-in  of 7500 and 8500, ATi XClaim VR 128 in Beige
G3, iRez Capsure card in PowerBook G3.)

I can capture at any size I want within the capabilities of the
computer, which means mostly at 320x240 for 30 fps, but I can do
640x480 if I slow down the frame rate. I use uncompressed codecs
(Component or None). In all cases it works just like any other analog
video source, and the quality is decent; better than my iRez Kritter
SV webcam, not as good as my Sony TRV-103 Digital 8 camcorder.

I understand there are digital cameras that can export live video
over USB, like a USB webcam, but I believe they require drivers that
may not be available for the Mac.