new hard drives

lloyds lloyds at vermontel.net
Tue Jun 3 08:06:25 PDT 2003

1) Into a Dual 1 GHz G4, I've just installed a Maxtor 6Y200P0 200 gig
hard drive.  It came with no software or instructions except on the case
it showed the jumper connections to make it the slave, which I did.  It
is sitting on top of the original hard drive, which uses the black plug
at the end of the cable. the new drive uses the gray plug, in the middle
of the cable.  The new drive is not recognized (no icon on the desktop,
no mention in the system profiler).  Is there some trick I've missed?
Do I need an ultra ATA card? (The manual says that the computer
supports: "ATA devices, including ATA, ATA-2, ATA-3 up to ATA-6 devices;
Ultra ATA devices; Ultra-66 ATA devices" -- and some other SCSI stuff).

2) I also have a Western Digital WD1200JBRTL 120 gig internal hard
drive, and would like to put it into an enclosure and hook it to the
same computer.  I've never done this, so I don't know the details.  Is
it possible?  Does an enclosure make the transition from a forty-pin
plug to a firewire cable?  Who's a good enclosure dealer?  The last one
mentioned on the list that I saved was www.fwdepot.com, but it froze my
computer when I tried it!

3) After all that hooha about the Pioneer DRC-105, I bought one, but
when I look inside to figure out how to remove the existing superdrive,
the task looks formidable.  Kunga seemed to think that it's easy.  I've
searched Google for instructions with pictures with no luck.  Any
suggestions?

tia

BobLL