[Off-topic] What is the learning curve for Commotion Pro and Lightwave?

Dennis A. Amith nt2099 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 18:20:24 PDT 2003

Greetings everyone,

Since there has been talk of 3D programs, I was wondering how steep is the
learning curve for Lightwave and Commotion.

The reason why I am asking is because I was recently drawn in by an article
about a guy in Japan (Makoto Shinkai) who has stunned people by a 25-minute
animation of his which he created all on a Mac G4 400 by himself.

As a fan of Japanese animation, I was intrigued by his setup (Listed at the
bottom of the page):

http://daike.hp.infoseek.co.jp/About_The_Voices_of_a_Distant_Star.html

Interesting article here:
http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2003/03/28.1.shtml

And how cool the anime looks:

Clips can be downloaded here:
http://www.mangazoo.jp/mztv/shinkai/body001.html

Anyway, for those who are knowledgeable in the field and using the software
listed, I'm just curious how steep the learning curves to produce something
of this quality or in the same vain of Animatrix would be.

I was really blown away because the fact that one person did it all himself
via a Mac G4 400 and that it was done on a Mac (since most of the articles
I've read on animation are people who work on them via PC's).

Anyway, thanks in advance to those who respond.

Sincerely,

Daa