What is the learning curve for Commotion Pro and Lightwave?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 23:34:57 PDT 2003

> From: "Dennis A. Amith" <nt2099 at sbcglobal.net>
> Since there has been talk of 3D programs, I was wondering how steep is
> the
> learning curve for Lightwave and Commotion.

Hmmm ... how to explain this ...

3D is probably one of the most complex (if not THE most complex) areas
outside programming that most people could ever get into on a computer.
It's not difficult to do some low-level, amateurish stuff, but to the
level this guy is doing ... wow ...

Let me put it this way: there's a rip-off school here in Orlando that
offers to train Lightwave artists (on PCs, but that's beside the
point). It costs $25,000 for their training (which lasts a year).

However, some people have a natural affinity and talent for the
"language" of 3D animation. Still others have a natural penchant for
drawing/design. It's really rare to find someone like this fellow who
clearly has both down cold.

Luckily, there's a very easy way to discover if you have any natural
ability in this direction without spending the thousands of dollars
needed to get Lightwave/Commotion and the necessary instruction. I
would suggest that you try out Hash Animation Master (about $200) or
download Maya Personal Edition (free) and study web tutorials/manuals
etc to see if you can get a feel for the whole "mindset" of 3D
animation.

If so, then you are ready to make the commitment needed to master
Lightwave and Commotion. They are difficult, expensive programs, but no
more so that the other really "world-class" tools in the other creative
arts.

I hope that helps.

_Chas_

"The Box said 'Windows 95 or better' ... so I got a Macintosh."