[MacDV] Re: DV camcorder without firewire (was iMovie 3 isout)

Susan Tomanek s.tomanek at gte.net
Wed Jun 4 15:27:03 PDT 2003

Aloha Gary,
I just looked at my old Sony PC-1 mini DV camera which I purchased in Japan
in 1997. It has no "firewire" port. However, it does have a jack (or poo-kah
as we say in the Islands) called DV IN/OUT. An i.Link cable (with very small
and fragile ends) connects the camera to my Sony Vaio laptop pc which is
vintage 1998 (64 MB ram, 6.4 GB hard drive, 300 MHz processor).  The DV
IN/OUT jack is in a slot similar to the one you describe -- front right side
of camera, long, rectangular, covered by a door, and has a slot for the
proprietary cable with RCA jacks on the other end. Sound familiar?
Check for the DV In/OUT jack. If you have it, I think you can buy a cable
with i.Link connector on one end and firewire connector on the other, thus
allowing you to upload directly from your camera into your Mac. I haven't
needed this cable to connect to my Mac because I use a JVC deck instead of
the camera for editing purposes.
I hope this makes sense.
Susan
p.s. So you're the guy I see at night when I look at Mauna Kea from the
Kohala Coast.