[MacDV] Re: DV camcorder without firewire (was iMovie 3 isout)

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jun 5 08:53:21 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 07:51  PM, Dmytro Koval'ov wrote:

> iLink is FireWire without power pair lines.  It has the same 4 signal
> lines (2 pairs) but missing power.
>
> See: http://www.vxm.com/21R.49.html
> Picture on http://www.vxm.com/Ss21st_1.gif shows crossection of FW
> cable. Remove two red power lines and you'll have iLink.
>

> IEEE-1394 and FireWire are the same. FW was introduced by Apple and
> then
> adopted as IEEE standard few years later.

Tossing my $.02 in here. Both iLink and Firewire are brand names for
IEEE 1394. The difference isn't the pins, both can be 4 or 6 pins, the
extra two being to power external devices. IIRC, the only real
difference is that iLink is the brand name Sony used for the original
1394 spec that ran at 200 Mbps. Firewire is an Apple brand name for 400
Mbps 1394. Furthermore, Apple released the Firewire name to the
standards body (don't know if my terminology is correct here) so that
anyone implementing 400 Mbps 1394 is allowed to use it free of charge
(they don't have to pay, as someone else stated). I remember there was
some question on wether or not the 800 Mbps implementation would also
carry the "FireWire" tag or not. The answer to that seems to be yes.

Just looked up the reference at
<http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/may/29firewireTA.html> . The
first paragraph is,

"The 1394 Trade Association (TA) and Apple® today announced that the
FireWire® trademark, logo and symbol have been adopted as a brand
identity for the IEEE 1394 connection standard in a no-fee license
agreement between the TA and Apple. In addition, Apple has granted the
TA the right to sub-license the FireWire Trademark for use on products,
packaging and promotion of the standard. "

-Mike