Firewire card

Eric Phillips PHILLIE at wyeth.com
Fri Jun 6 05:41:57 PDT 2003

Any suggestions on Firewire cards for a 733MHz Quicksilver G4? Now you
say, Why does he need a firewire card on that machine? My dog chewed the
end off a cable while the computer was on. Now if I am lucky the
computer will see my camera or scanner. I tried several times last night
to get some things back to tape so I could start a new project but I got
the computer to see the camera only once. Is it worth investing in a
multi function card that would have USB2 and or Firewire 800? I don't
have any devices that currently use these buses but I was wondering if
people thought. When I bought my computer I wasn't planning on doing DV
but here I am making movies.

This leads into another question. I remember some people having
troubles with dropouts on the tape when exporting due to having the
computer playing the movie on screen and exporting. I tried minimizing
the window during export but then there wasn't any thing on the tape. Do
you have to have the window up on the screen to export?

I have one off topic question also. I put in a 120 gig 7200rpm Maxtor
internal drive and partitioned it so I would have a dedicated partition
for video editing. The question is would I speed up the system at all if
I made a partition to run the system on this drive and left the slow
original drive as a backup? Will there be any problems capturing DV to
the same disk but different partition as the boot drive? Would I need to
do anything other than moving the files and changing the jumper settings
on the drives?

Thanks,
Eric