S-VCD Refresher course needed

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 8 18:47:29 PDT 2003

On that problem I was having with having the picture from the SVCD squashed and appearing in a letterbox format - I discovered what was wrong: It was the way my DVD player was set. My Pioneer has three options - 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan and Scan, and 16x9. It was set on 4:3 Letterbox. Setting it to Pan and Scan solved the problem.

Someone was asking about the menu on a SVCD. It looks like to me that what you create isn't a menu like you have with a DVD where you can click on buttons but rather a still image where you indicate what number you press on your remote to start which clip. You can set up the SVCD to go back to the menu at the end of a clip or continue on to another clip.

I was, to repeat, able to create an SVCD under Mac OS 10.1.5. I made another attempt while trying to trace the letterbox problem and it didn't encode right so the video portion would freeze at a certain point while audio continued. I suppose it is a good idea to view your MPEGs before you go ahead and build your SVCD images.

-Dave

-Dave