[MacDV] Re: S-VCD Refresher course needed

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Mon Jun 9 04:57:27 PDT 2003

Thanks again to all for the AAC and SVCD answers.
I figure there's no good reason for me to bother with SVCDs assuming
anyone that might want to look at my reel will have access to a DVD or
be able to play an OS9 slideshow (for print only)

On the AAC front I'm still in the process of converting everything...
slooooooow. But I'll see what the savings is.

to my ears nothing is nearly as good as it was on Japanese vinyl back
in the day... so unless it's Tosca... smaller is better, esp if its
loud enough to drown out the screeching of the subway!

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 03:15 AM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: Matthew Guemple <mo.og at verizon.net>
>>
>> Could someone remind me of the point of making and S-VCD?
>
> Heh heh. I often wonder that myself.
>
> The MAIN reason people make SVCDs is that they don't yet have a
> Superdrive, but they DO have MPEG-2 (or equivalent quality) material.
> You make SVCDs with a CD-burner.
>
> A second reason is that perhaps you'd like to take a movie with you,
> but your laptop does not have a DVD player. Ditto for "the kids'
> machine," etc.
>
> SVCDs will play in any computer that has a CD drive, and will play in
> many modern DVD players. DVDs of course require a DVD player,
> something not many computers (relatively speaking) have. This can be
> darn handy in some business-video scenarios.
>
> SVCDs are nicer than VHS but not as good as DVD quality. VCDs are not
> quite as good as VHS quality. If you are distributing a video and
> concerned about it being commercially "stolen," these formats can help
> prevent that by being sub-par for commercial release.
>
> Finally, in some cases it's just the cost of the media. Blank CDs are
> maybe a few pennies apiece; Blank DVD-Rs are quite a bit more
> expensive. If by chance you make a coaster, you don't feel so bad when
> it's just a CD-R. :)
>
> _Chas_
>
> New at http://filmmoi.blogspot.com -- at last, my review of "The Two
> Towers." Check it out!
>

> ----------
> digest version.

> <http://www.macresq.com>

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599