[MacDV] Value of Mac 9600 + Avid Media Composer

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sat Jun 14 14:08:16 PDT 2003

Hard to say. The best option would likely be to sell the Media Composer
and the Mac, which would likely net you enough cash for a G4 and Final
Cut Pro. The Media Composer (Avid) software is a very high priced item,
and even an older copy would be welcomed by certain Avid aficionados.
Most Avid admirers are both steadfast AND clueless as to how fast their
nonlinear platform is falling by the wayside.

Upgrading Media Composer is far simpler on the PC, where it makes its
modern home. On the Mac, the Media Composer line is a bit rusty, but
still upgradeable through the diehard Avid community. The problem is, a
basic Avid upgrade would cost more than a new G4 plus Final Cut plus
storage. This is to say Avid remains proprietary, and if you want FCP
power, you need to pay at LEAST tens of thousands of dollars more than
an FCP equivalent.

Richard Brown