[MacDV] pops & clicks

Jon Blumhagen jblumhagen at zionshope.org
Tue Jun 17 07:59:04 PDT 2003

> From: Video International <videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:01:49 +0900
> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: [MacDV] pops & clicks
>
> that *really* works in getting rid of pops and
> clicks

The only time I'm tempted look at PCs is when I have opportunity to use
Sound Forge. I was a full-time musician for 7 years, and have begged the
makers of it to port it over to the Mac. (no luck) Very sleek interface,
solid, and written by musicians who know sound. It has a noise reduction
filter add-on that I believe is now incorporated into the latest version.

Basically you take a "clean" sample of background noise or hum, do an
INVERSE of that wave, and then apply to the whole recording. This, in
effect, can pull out background noise from UNDERNEATH a vocal. (You don't
apply it 100%, but somewhere around 70 to 80% will take out most of the bkgd
noise without adversely affecting everything else.)

I've been working with Peak 3 for a while now, and it seems to have similar
capabilities, and though I haven't yet had a chance to try Sound Soap, the
principle sounds like it's probably the same.

As for any pops or clicks, you CAN normalize to a certain extent and reduce
the jar of the noise, but one time events like that are probably best
handled on an individual basis - adjusting the individual waveform as much
as possible without killing the vocal or music that's underneath.

jb