Integrating iDVD with DVDSP?

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Wed Jun 18 10:44:36 PDT 2003

Hi, everyone.

I'm just dipping my toes into the wonderful world of Macintosh video.
I got a new Power Mac (dual 1.42GHz w/SuperDrive) a few weeks ago and
am trying to back up some of my VHS tapes to DVD. Particularly some
TV movies from another country that aren't available on DVD.

As you can probably guess, my problem is that even after I remove
the commercials, the movies are slightly over 90 minutes in length.
I know that I could split them onto two DVDs using iDVD, but as it
happens, I can get access to DVD Studio Pro, so I'm thinking of
using that instead.

I went through the iDVD tutorial and loved how easy it was to make
titles, chapters, etc. Is there any way to create a project in iDVD
and then export it to DVDSP for encoding so that I can get my over-
length projects onto one DVD? If not, then am I biting off too much
by thinking that as a video newbie, I can successfully use DVDSP to
add titles and chapters to an iMovie project? (I'm eagerly following
the discussions here about getting more than 90 mins. into an iDVD
project, but it sounds like DVDSP is still my best bet so far.)

FYI, I have iMovie 3.0.2 and iDVD 3.0. I'm aware of the iMovie 3.0.3
update but haven't downloaded it yet.

Thanks!
Patty