[MacDV] Re: Did it. (Encoding iDVDs at a lower bitrate)

Jim Heid jim at heidsite.com
Wed Jun 18 12:58:05 PDT 2003

> From: "Mark O'Brien" <rmobrien at mac.com>
>
> On 6/18/03 2:50 PM, "Erica Sadun" <erica at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> So, out of curiousity, I decided to take a break from
>> writing and see if I could make iDVD encode at the
>> bitrate I desired.
> What's the bottom line? Could you put more than 90 minutes of content on a
> DVD with iDVD using this process?

Whatever the bottom line, I'll bet the quality would be atrocious.

iDVD's lower bitrate -- the one you get when you have more than 60 minutes
of video -- is 5Mbps, and that's at the low end of the acceptable-quality
level for iDVD's MPEG encoder. Indeed, IMO, the quality is unacceptable for
anything but rank-amateur work.

Best,
Jim

--
Jim Heid
Author/Host, "The Macintosh iLife" book/DVD