external Firewire drive recommendations?

Tom Nugent Jr tom at contracheck.com
Wed Jun 18 14:12:51 PDT 2003

I'm one of those "rank amateurs" who's just getting into digital
video.  My Sony DCR-TRV33 arrived today!  :)  I'm looking to add an
external Firewire drive, mostly for video work (probably in the
80-120GB range).  I'm wondering if people can give recommendations
and/or warnings about any particular brands?  It seems like which
brands are available partly depend on which store you're looking at.

For a while it sounded like you had to make sure you got an Oxford911
chipset on the hard drive, but recently I heard there's a
better/faster chipset??

Basically, what should I know and look out for when shopping for a
Firewire drive that will be primarily used for video editing?

Thanks!

  -- Tom